Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Simple Life: Just Dance


There are certain joys that choices or circumstance takes out of your life.  They can occur during any point in your life for any myriad of reasons.  Sometimes they lie happily in the past as a memory of times gone by, while at other times they nag at you as you move through life, the what-ifs that flash through your dreams or line the pages of a journal.  When the nagging thoughts become loud enough, or your life becomes quiet enough, to heed them you should.

For me, this joy was dancing.  Which, if you know me at all now, might seem comical. 


But look at those ladies…those are some happy hippos. And despite advanced years, permanently torn ligaments in both ankles, far too much weight, and a bone chip floating around in my left knee I want to dance.

When I was a young girl I danced ballet, and danced well.  I was always the youngest in my class, put on pointe when I was 8.  My, at the time, father loved the arts and encouraged me in my love of all things classical. He would play the soundtracks of Swan Lake, Cinderella and Nutcracker as I twirled about the house in my costumes on any given school night.  I was allowed, and even encouraged, to be that rare combination of iron and air that a female dancer must have.  All the familiar rituals of the dancer made me happy, the hair being pulled into a bun, the muted pink tights followed by a leotard…the official uniform of Dance.  I can still remember the fresh leather smell of new shoes as I sewed on my elastic straps…and later the smooth pink satin ribbons onto the stiff pointe shoes, bending and whacking them against the floor until the box fit my ever growing toes.  

But as seems to be the nature of “growing up” all things and hobbies must have a purpose.  It was quickly evident that while I loved dancing I was not a performer.  My routines would be perfect in the studio, but put me on a stage and I froze.  I was not going to be a dancer because I was not a performer.  For me this was completely acceptable, but for my mother this officially dropped me in the, “no longer worthwhile for your future” bucket. However, my father was still very much on my side and so I danced on.  Until they divorced.  And just like that the arts were gone from my life.  The season theater tickets were gone. The classical music was gone.  The tutus were gone.  Without him the practicality of my mother’s side won over.  All of the sudden I was too tall, there was no career in this, there was no scholastic advancement in prancing about.  It was to be given up. Replaced with something more relatable…sports.  And so the soft pink shoes were replaced with Nikes, the leotard with t-shirts and the brightly lit studios with the glare of gym lights.  I was a kid, it was fine. Go along to get along…and sports provided the same positive affirmation as dance, with the additional bonus of looking good on transcripts if I excelled through junior high and high school varsity (which, of course, I did). 

Looking back it was a smart move on my mother’s part.  My mother is good like that. Keeping the long term game plan in mind for how to be a success.  Dancing would not have lead anywhere. And with distinctly non ballerina breasts sprouting and ruining my triple pirouettes who knows if I would have continued to dance for much longer anyway. 

But what-if….what-if the folks hadn’t divorced and the arts had stayed up-front and center in my family’s list of priorities. Would I still have developed into the pragmatic, logical, task oriented person I am today?  Or would I have become more artsy?  That I really have no clue about.  What I do know is that here I am 20 years later, having jumped through the hoops of life and at a point where I want to do something simply for the joy of it. Not for where it will get me or it’s applicability to future avenues of success.  But simply for the feeling it brings me. 

I thought the answer to reaching that feeling was yoga.  I was doing my sun salutation and realized that I loved the movement…but that the mat was far too confining, the music far to sedated, and the joy far too muted.  And so I folded it up, changed the music, and dragged a chair to the middle of the room.  Lightly placing my hand on the “bar” I closed my eyes and it all came flooding back to me. The gentle warm-up routine in the five positions (well actually just four, my thighs and out-turn have fifth position out of my reach at the moment).  The forward and backward bends that stretch all the way to your fingertips. And I smiled. 

There is no stage other than the 12 feet of my living room. My audience of one, a bored canine, is really all I can manage, and even then I feel she is a bit judgmental with her yawns and up cast eyes.  There are no pink tights or slippers (nor should there be). And there is definitely no social benefit to this activity.  But there is the simple feeling of joy for its own sake. And that bit is wonderful.
Cheers
__________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment