Monday, April 16, 2012

Stuck

It is a rare thing (for me) to feel truly stuck in some aspect of life.  Usually I can spray my brain with the biochemical equivalent of WD40 and slide my way through to the other side, make forward motion and be on my way down my chosen path. But of late, it isn’t working.  And it’s frustrating.  Perhaps it is my Libra tendency to be over analytical, to list pros/cons, think, think some more….and then churn on it a little more. The best phrase I have heard for it is analysis paralysis.  Perfect image. I am in the throes of analysis paralysis…you see me sitting in a stupor, but my mind is racing through every scenario to predict outcomes. Kind of like the computer from Wargames…


By now, the lay of the land is clear, the costs associated with each choice are also abundantly clear, there is nothing left to chew over. I have all the facts. But much like Joshua I find that no action is the best decision…leaving me in the same spot. But unlike Joshua I cannot analytically give up on the no-win situation and decide to play another game.  This is when being human, with wants and desires, is the suck.  

Perhaps I should pick just one thing among the multitude of life’s pillars that are in the shitter and concentrate on that.  Perhaps it is the complexity or sheer volume of so much being amiss that is causing a lack of clarity.  Pick the single item that I have the most control over and focus on that one thing.  Let everything else fall by the way side until I can succeed in one arena of my life.

A man tells Buddha “I want happiness.”
Buddha said “first remove ‘I’ that’s ego. Then remove ‘Want’ that’s desire. See now you are left with only ‘Happiness’.”

I wonder how I would look in the burgundy and orange of a Buddhist monk?
_____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment